Table of Contents
- Can you bake chicken in an electric skillet?
- Functions of Electric Skillet
- How to bake chicken in an electric skillet?
- What temperature do you bake chicken in an electric skillet?
- Tips for using Electric Skillet
Can you bake chicken in an electric skillet?
An electric skillet is a deep pan that has shallow, sloped sides. It is different from a traditional frying pan as it has a controlled temperature setting rather than the uncontrolled heat of an electric frying pan.
An electric skillet can be used as an oven with the lid on and without the lid it can be used as a frying pan. So for everyone who wonders whether they can bake chicken in an electric skillet? The answer is definitely yes.
As an oven electric skillet can be set to the temperature needed. There are usually pre-marked settings for ‘bake’ or ‘broil’. That will give you your desired temperature thus baking your chicken remarkably easy. Just select the right temperature settings for your oven with or without a lid and let it cook until done
Functions of Electric Skillet
Here are 5 basic functions of an electric skillet :
1. Electric skillet is a kitchen appliance that has a flat bottom and sloping sides so it can be used for frying or cooking food in liquid, such as simmering soups, stews, fondues, and sauces.
In addition to the convenience of using one piece of equipment rather than two (or more), an electric skillet allows for easy one-pot meals, as well as rapid cleanup.
2. It can also be used to keep food warm or to reheat it after being cooked in any other way. Many electric skillets have removable inserts that are safe to place in the dishwasher for easy cleanup. Some models double as a griddle.
The built-in thermostat that is used to control the temperature of an electric skillet can be set as low as 80° to keep food warm after it cooks, and higher than 300° for searing or frying foods.
3. Electric skillets are often used instead of a range to cook large items such as roasts or casseroles, due to their deep cooking pot and even-heating properties.
When using any traditional pan, one must compensate for hot spots by moving the food around; this is not necessary with an electric heating element unless there is a significant heat variation across the surface. Electric skillets usually don’t require preheating as a conventional oven does.
4. Many electric skillets come with lids, which help retain moisture in cooking and decrease the time to cook certain foods.
5. Electric skillets are available in different sizes, from about 8 inches (20 cm) up to about 24 inches (61 cm). There are double electric skillet sets for larger families or group cooking. The most common size is 12-inch.
6. Some versions have a nonstick coating, which makes frying and cleanup easier, but it also means that you can’t use metal utensils on them or they will scratch and damage the surface. Instead, always use wood, bamboo or plastic utensils when using an electric skillet with a nonstick coating so you don’t ruin its integrity over time by removing the coating from one section of the pan while trying to get a stuck-on food out of it.
How to bake chicken in an electric skillet?
You can bake chicken in any electric skillet. Just place the food inside and let it cook until done. You can check if the chicken is done or not by using a meat thermometer. If you do not have one, just cut open the thickest part of the chicken to see whether it has started getting cooked there or not.
If you are baking a lot of chicken at once then for faster results, preheat your oven first before you put it inside all your food so that they start cooking immediately as soon as they get placed inside the electric skillet.
Also, know that Chicken takes lesser time to cook than pork so keep this in mind while placing them inside an electric skillet with similar settings as both be cooked evenly but at different speeds.
What temperature do you bake chicken in an electric skillet?
The best way to bake chicken is at 180-200 degrees Celsius for 30 minutes covered with the lid. If you are using small pieces then place them inside 3 minutes before cooking begins so that all four sides get cooked evenly.
Check if they are done by squeezing between your fingers or pressing down with them gently on the top of these pieces. If they feel flexible, then they are not yet cooked. Always check for doneness before removing them from heat as overcooking makes chicken dry and less tasty.
Also, note that if you are using a small electric skillet to bake chicken in, then it may take more than 30 minutes for the food to get baked so keep checking every 5 minutes after the first 20 minutes have passed by.
If there is too much moisture inside the pan because of either high temperature or the lid has been kept closed throughout the cooking time, then this can reduce its life drastically as well as hamper its performance.
Similarly, you need to make sure your oven’s thermostat is calibrated correctly as an extremely low setting can leave your food uncooked instead of baked while too high a setting can reduce the life of your electric skillet by causing it to overheat and crack inside which will be very dangerous for you to use for cooking after that.
When baking chicken ensure that you do not leave out the lid on your electric skillet as this creates steam which both cooks food faster but also prevents its nutrients from escaping into space. This is one of the reasons why many people are now shifting over to using an electric oven instead of traditional ovens as they are faster, easier to use, and ensure more nutritious food overall.
Tips for using Electric Skillet
1. Cooking in a skillet requires a little bit of trial and error if you are not used to it. The cooking time varies with the type of food, the amount of food in the pan and even the weather affects the cooking time. You may need to play around for a while until you get comfortable with how long things should cook.
2. To prevent the food from sticking to the pan during frying or sauteing, add some vegetable oil or margarine before turning on the heat.
3. When grilling meat, close the lid so that it will sear well without overcooking outside while keeping inside moist at low-temperature settings approximate 150 degrees.
4. The cooking time for vegetables, fruits, and eggs is very quick. You need to decrease the temperature slightly if you want to cook these foods as they will be prepared faster at a lower temperature setting.
5. Remove all traces of fat from meat before placing it in a hot pan. Pour oil onto the heated pan only after the surface has been completely covered with grease. If not, the food will stick to the bottom of your electric skillet or fryer which causes bad odors and even lead to short circuits due to water damage.
6. The outside temperature can vary depending on where you are using your electric skillet or fryer so keep this in mind while deciding what kind of food would taste best when cooked
7. Besides, the pan is nonstick and usually has a temperature gauge on its side so you can monitor your cooking progress. If you want to roast chicken in an electric skillet, simply set the thermostat to 350 degrees Fahrenheit or 176 degrees Celsius and put a cup of water at the bottom of the oven. It will take about 1 hour to bake a 4-pound whole chicken.
As you can see, baking chicken in an electric skillet is very easy. Just keep in mind that the size of your electric skillet will determine how long it will take to cook the food so consider this when planning your meal. You can use a thermometer if you are unsure about whether things are done or not. All of these tips will help you have tasty baked chicken! Don’t forget to check our other blog posts on how to make delicious desserts!